The LGBTQIA+ Task Force
Advocates for the full welcome, inclusion, and equity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual/aromantic (LGBTQIA+) Lutherans in all aspects of the life of their Church, congregations, and community.
Ensures that LGBTQIA+ individuals feel welcome and loved at St. Paul.
Serves as an instrument of education/information and celebration for the St. Paul community regarding LGBTQIA+ issues, news, information, opportunities.
Our recent activities have been somewhat limited due to the pandemic. But in the past we have:
- Hosted Coffee Hours to raise awareness and funds for organizations such as the Extraordinary Lutheran Ministries, the Bay Area Gay Prom and other organizations which support, promote and celebrate the rights of LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- Hosted booths at both Castro Valley Pride and Oakland Pride parade to raise awareness of St Paul as a place that welcomes LGBTQIA+ folks.
- Raised awareness of justice issues including Thrivent Board Elections, SCOTUS decision regarding Transgender Military Ban, the revision of ELCA “Vision and Expectations” (ELCA position on sexuality and the clergy).
- Sponsored Extraordinary Lutheran Ministries events at Pacific School of Religion.
- Participated in several educational events sharing LGBTQIA+ justice issues and history with the congregation.
We are proud that St Paul was one of the first Reconciling In Christ congregations in the country. The Reconciling in Christ (RIC) program recognizes congregations and Lutheran organizations that declare themselves welcoming to all people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. We are currently revisiting the recently published expanded commitments of being a Reconciling In Christ congregation and discussing what actions to take next.